Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Wait... Where are you taking me?

Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan and was led by the Spirit in the wilderness
Luke 4:1

With the theme's of lament being very clear during VUP, I asked my friend Steve Schalm to see if he could come and share on being led by the Spirit and lead our prayer meeting.  After much conversation and convincing, he agreed, but when the day came for him to come and speak, he came down with a mysterious sickness that took him right out for the whole day.  I found myself in an awkward situation where I had little planned and organised and I needed to lead my VUP students on this prayer time.

This was a situation where I needed to be "led by the Holy Spirit."  With the original plan not working, I needed to come to Jesus myself and ask "Where do you want to take these students?"  I soon received from the Spirit that I needed to send the students out on a prayer walk to be aware and sensitive to where the Spirit is also taking them.  After sharing stories and experiences of some crazy encounters of being led by the Holy Spirit, I gave them these instructions:

1.  Break off into groups of 2
2.  Go out together into the neighbourhood.
3.  Pray as you walk and be open to where the Spirit is leading you.
4.  This is most likely going to be weird.

After an hour, we came back and debriefed about the experience.  To our surprise, we heard of stories on how the Spirit was leading students to walk in certain directions, go to locations, talk with women who are wearing green dresses, pray for specific people.  These are all strange, I know, but they all had a reason.  The group that followed the spirit in this way was led down an alleyway and found a couple of books that reminded them of their childhood.  They were then led to the Sunday street market where they talked to two women.  One of them they felt the Spirit compelling them to say she was beautiful.  She responded by saying that she really needed to hear that.  Another women they felt compelled to say that Jesus is with her and that she'll never be alone.  They found out from her that she was going to be bedridden for the next month with no one around.  From there, they offered one of the books that they found for her to read.

Can I logically explain how the Holy Spirit works?  No, definitely not.  What I do know is that we fill our lives so much with asking Jesus for things that we rarely take the time to listen to what He might be actually trying to say to us.  

Campus Gathering 2016

This theme of being led by the Spirit kept coming up at Campus Gathering 2016.  I had the privilege of hearing the origin story of the Korean Christian Fellowship (KCF) ministry.  It started with a few faithful students who had a desire to see the lost found.  These few students came together to pray... No intention, no plans, no agenda.  Just to pray and be led by the Spirit.  After a year, the few students grew to about 250.  It's not about the numbers, but about the faithful following of where the Spirit is leading them.  

My hope and prayer for the SFU campus is that our students would faithfully follow the Spirit's leading for them to be fully committed followers of Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment