Monday, November 28, 2016

SFU Surrey Gets Upgrades!


Walking to SFU Surrey, I noticed that something was quite different.  I looked around and saw that there was a significant increase in law enforcement.  I walked into the campus mez to claim our typical spot for prayer only to find out that there was a stage, multiple cameras, and security personnel everywhere.  

I asked myself, "What the heck is going on here?"

With this question in mind, I find a spot to have our prayer meetings from which we continue to pray for this SFU event.  After an hour, Sam and I find out that the events at SFU Surrey was welcoming some exciting news for the campus from our Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau.

I stood on the floor above excited and confused on why our Prime Minister is at SFU Surrey.  Not only was Justin there, SFU's president (Andrew Petter) and our Province's Premier (Christy Clark).  Something big was happening to have all three of these leaders in one place.  

As the speeches rolled through, Justin then came to speak.  He shared about how SFU has been a significant leaders in Mechatronics and technology advancement in Canada and announced that the Federal Government will give $45 million to help build a new research facility!  Afterwards, Christy Clark spoke and pledged another $45 million from the provincial government bringing the total of $90 million being given to build this research facility.  

This new research facility will be a part of the SFU Surrey Campus which will effectively double it's size over the 3 years.  It will be the home of new classrooms, new facilities to advance research for Mecatronics engineering and also be the home of a brand new Energy Systems and Environmental Systems Engineering field of study.  

This is a huge opportunity as it will effectively double the student population at SFU Surrey over the next 5 years.  I don't know what IVCF's involvement will look like on the SFU Surrey Campus, I just pray that God will bring passionate students to take on the mantle of ministering to the Surrey campus and hopefully some staff may eventually make it there full-time.


No comments:

Post a Comment