I am a driven person. When I truly believe in something, I will do everything in my power to get it done.
I would call this both a blessing and a curse. It is a blessing that I can get things done and that I can be reliable. I put to action what has been talked about and ask the question, "How do we do this?" It is a curse though because I am so driven, I will do things on my own and try to make things happen with own strength. As a result, I measure my success based on the success of the event or task that I was determined to do, often resulting in disappointment.
I have been reflecting on this for a number of years now asking the questions, "How do I find the balance? How can I be driven and while also being faithful to God?" These are tough questions and I feel that some who are reading this can relate to me as well.
Even though I am still asking these questions, I can't help but think back to my China and clotheslining experience. The theme of slowing down still rings loud and true. Waiting for God and be a faithful steward of what He has given me. The passage of the True Vine has been coming up for me again (John 15:1-17). Especially this part of the passage:
Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.
Here it is, the answer to my questions. "Remain in me" is the answer. My drivenness is no longer to be propelled by my own strength but by "remaining in the love of Jesus". By remaining in Him, that is where I can bear the true fruit and my definition of success will be based on being faithful to what God has called me to do. This is how I can be both a driven and faithful child of God.

No comments:
Post a Comment