Friday, December 13, 2013

The Story of Abraham (The Student)


In his poem “Chicago,” the late American poet Carl Sandburg described it as a city “under the terrible burden of destiny, laughing as a young man laughs.” But as a young student at SFU, I never felt like laughing under this burden.

I grew up in a Christian household and was raised in the church, but much of my upbringing was very similar to the rest of my peers who didn’t grow up in the church. This similarity is that we all carry the burden of destiny: the burden to succeed and the burden to find purpose.  As Christians, we often carry this burden of destiny in the question of “what is God’s will for me?” This single question is related to so many others such as pursuing a career, relationships, finding a church, moving to a new city, and so many more. This October, I underwent a month long season of deep unhappiness caused by feeling “stuck.” I would spend despair over my lack of purpose and how I felt that I did not belong in the life I was currently living. The core of this unhappiness was ultimately due to a lack of understanding what God’s will for me was. I thought that God’s will was a bulls eye, a single target that I must aim towards and that “missing it” or living outside of God’s will and desires would lead to a derailing of my life. I would pour prayer upon prayer upon His alter, in hopes that He would tell me what I needed to know to fulfill His will but often to no avail.

It was during this time I felt the need to seek God again in the Scriptures. During my time in Inter-Varsity Christian Fellowship at SFU (and under Justin’s mentorship), I began to seek solace and happiness from Scripture and how it was indeed “alive and active (Hebrews 4:12).” While I was studying Mark with IVCF SFU, God completely transformed my understanding about how I think about his will. Mark 1:38 says that Jesus went all throughout Galilee to preach; He came to preach about the kingdom of God (Mark 1:14). God’s will is actually remarkably clear, his will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day (John 6:40).” This is the will of God: the salvation of all and the destruction of none. It is that all people would be reconciled to God through Jesus Christ, who became sin for us so that we might become the righteousness of God (2 Corinthians 5:21). This is His will from Genesis when he promises Christ as an answer to humanity’s sin and brokenness, all the way until Revelation when he says, “Behold, I am making all things new (Revelation:21:5).” Rather than analyzing every action I make and whether they are a part of God’s will or not, I am instead led to ask, “How can I join into God’s great plan of redemption and reconciliation?” Rather than trying to fit God’s great will into my tiny life; I can ask myself how I, with the gifts and talents that God has given me, can participate more in His will rather than seeking to my own will. No matter where I am or stage of life I am in, in conversations with friends and family, within my church, within my school and community, and with IVCF SFU, I can join into God’s great will. God set me free from the terrible burden of destiny and instead set me free. And in my freedom, I am free to join in God’s great will, not just for me, but for all people. He has made known to me the paths of life and made me glad in His presence (Acts 2:28). Because in Christ, I can truly laugh as a young man laughs; not because I am under the “terrible burden of destiny,” but because I know I am living under the great will of God.

In Christ,



Abraham Wu 

No comments:

Post a Comment