Friday, October 5, 2012

Hi! My name is Anika!




What is your name?  What are you studying?
Anika Barlow, International Development

How long have you been studying at SFU?
2.25 semesters :)

What is your experience with the culture of SFU?
Despite our motto, 'Engaging the World', it seems like SFU students have trouble even engaging their fellow students. In terms of what I was expecting to find at university, there is a lot less openness and desire to learn from each other. I'd love to see that change.

What are some of the difficulties and challenges of being a Christian on the SFU Campus?
Of course professors and classmates are rarely sympathetic to Christianity, but one of the hardest parts for me has been finding opportunities for conversation. When questions about God have come up in conversation it's been great, but I wish it happened more often. I have also found real joy in following Christ on the SFU campus. Being in a challenging place for me has always gone hand in hand with coming to know God much closer so in that sense I am very thankful for the ways I continue to be challenged. 

How has God been shaping and changing your identity and views on mission since joining IVCF?
Before getting involved with IVCF I felt missions was part of my future but now I'm starting to see it more and more in the present. I need to be reminded often that the here and now matters and is just as much a part of my life as the plans I have for the future.

What do you hope to see change in your friends and the SFU Campus?
I find myself most often hoping that people would have hope itself (and Himself!). The kind of hope that I want to see in people would mean not only fearlessly looking at the future, but joyfully living now.

How can we pray for you and your ministry?
Thanks for asking :) Pray for a right perspective, the ability to have a soft heart in a hard place, the self-discipline to make time to rest and be renewed by God.

No comments:

Post a Comment