Friday, October 5, 2012

Hi! My name is Daniel!




What is your name?  What are you studying?
Daniel Ngo. Sociology.

How long have you been studying at SFU?
Entering my third year.

What is your experience with the culture of SFU?
My experience with the culture of SFU is great. I am especially thankful for Inter-Varsity because it has given me an outlet to dive deeper into the word outside of my own church setting. The culture of SFU itself has caused me to adapt to set my focus on what I want to do with the rest of my life.

What are some of the difficulties and challenges of being a Christian on the SFU Campus?
Sometimes, classes have lectures that oppose religious views; they even go as far as to say that it is the old traditional way of thinking and holding everyone back from modernity and reasoning with science. There was also a time when I conducted a research project and had a hard time not imposing my religious views into the reasoning of some of my answers. I thought there were a lot of areas that were "common sense" to the world but apparently, I had to operationally define some of my common sense. For example, I thought it was universally correct to believe that everyone should have sex because sex is for the mature individual who has self-control, and should be kept sacred within marriage. However, the world views sex as a natural part of life. Those were the challenges I faced as being a Christian.

How has God been shaping and changing your identity and views on mission since joining IVCF?
IVCF taught me a valuable lesson on fundraising. I learned that it was important for people to be able to support you on a mission's trip. Giving people the opportunity to support you allows them to be a part of your mission’s trip.

What do you hope to see change in your friends and the SFU Campus?
I enjoy the manuscript studies and being a part of the bible studies that have people who don’t follow Jesus in them. It allows me to see them change slowly as they engage more. I hope to see that they change by finding community and build relationships that are meaningful for them.

Where do you feel God is calling you after University?
I feel called to serve in ministry after university.

How can we pray for you and your ministry?
Ministry is a thankless job. Pray that I can keep persevering and focus on God. Let him be my strength. Pray for Inter-Varsity itself. It is doing good works on the campus and those who open up to it will receive a lot from God.

No comments:

Post a Comment