Tuesday, February 4, 2014

A Snapshot of Esther's Experience


Last Semester (Fall 2013)

At the start of the fall semester, I was hesitant to be more involved in IVCF due to my future plans changing. Before the school year started, we had an SLC (Student Leadership Conference) which really helped me with my decisions about my involvement with IVCF. I realized that my decision of moving schools within the next year doesn’t mean that I need to step back as a leader in IVCF, but rather finish my time at SFU with IVCF strong. The guidance of Justin throughout this semester played a tremendous role in regards to my growth this semester. Being my mentor isn’t always the easiest thing but Justin definitely managed to break through to me in many ways. I’m so grateful for the leadership skills I have developed more of these past few months. Leading a small group with Justin also challenged me to get out of my comfort zone. He pushed me to trust in God for guidance and to be confident in leading a group of my peers. At the time, I was a bit reluctant in trusting Justin that I was capable of leading a small group but in the end I could see that all he was doing only made me into the leader I am today. This semester has shown me so much about trusting in God and that it is not by our own doing that makes us great leaders but rather through God and the Holy Spirit that we exemplify God.

This Semester (Winter 2014)


This semester I started out a bit hesitant about being on the executive team because I didn't really know what that entailed and if I would be adequate. Since our student leadership conference in the beginning of the semester, I have become more confident in the team we have leading IVCF SFU. As well, I've being very excited for this semester with the small group I'm co-leading and the student I'm mentoring. I'm learning so much about myself as a leader and the role I have as an SFU student. It's been great having Justin mentor me and help me through lots of things in my life that I'm wrestling with or trying to understand about myself or others. This semester is bringing so many good things and I'm so glad to be a part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment