Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Josh's Reflections on Radical Hospitality


1. What have you been learning about Radical Hospitality this summer that you didn't know before?
IVCF SFU Welcome BBQ!!
I think a lesson that shocked me as we learned about radical hospitality is how simple yet, how difficult it was to demonstrate radical hospitality. In many ways it was simple because hospitality could include inviting people to join you for lunch, offering to buy someone a coffee, going to an event someone has asked you to join or opening your home to people. Yet, this simplicity is complicated by so many excuses that stop us, and I believe this is where difficulty arises because there are so many excuses to why we should not be hospitable. One thing I have always wrestled with was meeting new people. I always worried about giving off the right impression, not wanting to associate with certain people or worried about awkwardness that it stopped me from even trying to approach the person. However in our meetings with Servant Partners they taught us about their openness to welcome strangers into their home and to accept them lovingly, the joy it brings but also some of the challenges. One thing that really stuck with me after our meetings with Servant Partners was realizing how caught up I was about my self-image and my own possessions that I valued it over a relationship with another person. It is not easy to value the human connection amidst all the worries one can have, however I believe that this is when we lean into trusting in God and love as Jesus loved others.

2. How have you been applying Radical Hospitality in the way you serve and also in your everyday life?
Denman Island Leaders Retreat
I think the way I have applied Radical Hospitality to my life related to a prayer I asked before this summer semester. During fellowship at my church I prayed with one of my friends that God would move me from a life of convenience. It was one of the big excuses I was using when it came to why I did not want to be hospitable. I live about 2 hours away from campus by transit and so I only go up to campus for class and that was how my schedule worked. However this semester as I have been serving on the executive team for InterVarsity at SFU I have had to come up on days when I do not have classes, come earlier or stay later than my class schedule requires me. It means late transits home when I sometimes do not even get home till midnight. However the times I spend with other people whether it be through meetings or simply eating lunch together reminds me of how unique and fascinating each individual can be. Whether it be their personality or their stories, I am intrigued over and over again by the differences each person brings to the table yet we can still connect together in those moments. Now, I am excited for each lunch time in which I get to spend with friends and whoever decides to join around the table that week.

3. Where does Radical Hospitality fit into the bigger picture of God's Kingdom?
Hosting Servant Partners.  I wasn't allowed to help.
I believe that Radical Hospitality fits into the bigger picture because Jesus demonstrated it himself. I believe that Jesus demonstrated an unconditional love to those whom society would deem the lowest of low. Jesus loved the children (Mark 9:37), the women (Mark 10:1-12), the crippled, the blind and those with diseases. These were the outcasts in the time and culture when Jesus was around. Going through the book of Mark, Jesus does something incredible for those whom society would ignore or glance over. Jesus acknowledges their presence, accepts them and loves them, and in turn gives their humanity back to them. Therefore I believe we are called to do the same, I believe there are many people that are outcasts, and as we learn and develop the gift of hospitality, we will become more aware of those who do not fit in. I believe that radical hospitality requires us to extend to places where we may feel uncomfortable, and sometimes unsafe. However, the desire to feel wanted and loved are things that everyone desires and if we have the desire to demonstrate Jesus’ love for others it should be more than enough to give us reason to push through the uncomfortable situations and love those around us. There are those who are on the fringes, or fallen through the cracks of society. I believe as Christians as we continue in radical hospitality we are called to love those around us whether it be simply talking to them, giving them a meal, or letting them sleep at your house for the night.

4. Where do you hope the community will be at the end of the summer around Radical Hospitality?

I hope the community will be at a place in which even in the uncomfortable situations we will push through to love and accept those around us. To notice those who fall through the cracks and are in need of community. Amidst all the worries or concerns people would have, to push through and lean into trusting God and to be able to set aside judgment and love those others would deem weird, awkward or disgusting and to just love them and see them for who they truly are just as Jesus loved and accepted them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment