Tuesday, June 30, 2015

The Challenges of Change


When I think about change, I would like to think that I enjoy change.  Yet, when I see how I respond to changes, see how families respond to their kids growing up, and observe how the world engages with change, I realize that no one likes change.  Change is something that we need and is part of the natural progression of life despite the discomfort it causes us.

Barron's Last Hurrah at MARKwest Pacific
This season in ministry has not only been a season of lament, but a season of change.  Barron, who was my ministry partner of 4 years has now officially concluded his time with the SFU ministry.  He will be pursuing his Masters in Architecture at the University of Toronto.  Julianna, a student who I have been mentoring and who has had a profound impact on our ministry has now graduated.  Catherine, who has had to step down from serving in IVCF to better care for her family.  Transferring supervisors from Mike to Dave.  Interns coming to SFU.  These are the changes that have happened and are going to happen over these next couple of months.

Initially, as I reflect on all of these changes, I realize that my reaction is that of only thinking of positive things.  I was really happy to hear about the opportunities God is giving Barron, I was really happy to hear about Julianna graduting as an Extraordinary Kingdom Leader, I was really happy to have Dave as my supervisor and SFU getting interns.  I could only think of the positive.  Yet as I sat in it more and thought about what changes this would bring, my joy seemed to turn to despair and sorrow.  I had to now think about all the loses and changes that will have to be made in ministry and life and it was painful to think and act on these changes.  

I honestly thought with all of my experience in moving to different cities that I was immune to the effects of change.  This past year has proven me wrong about that.  Change is a part of our lives and anything that challenges us to step outside of our comfort zones, it will always be challenging.  Change is normal and it is difficult.  I have to accept that especially as someone in a ministry that has such a high turnover rate (both in students and staff).  

An ever changing Exec Team.  Celebration Time!!
So as I share with you in this update.  I can update you on the joys and positives experiences in ministry, but if I am honest, I can't say that everything is alright.  What I can say is that I am navigating through these changes the best way I know how and I want to invite you to walk with me in navigating through this.  Also, if you are also navigating through change as well, I would love to hear and journey with you through this.  The joy about being a follower of Jesus is that our family is not restricted to just our blood family.  Jesus has called us to be family for each other and I want to extend that invitation out to all of you.  

While you are praying for me in how I navigate these changes, please remember to pray for those who are also going through changes as well.

Pray for...

Barron as he transitions from ministry to student life again.
Julianna as she transitions from school life to employment
Catherine as she transitions from leadership to family
Mike and Dave as they transition from being my supervisor
Dave and Kim as they look to move closer to the Emily Carr and SFU.
The interns as they all relocate to Vancouver for a year long internship of constant change


No comments:

Post a Comment