As some of you may have noticed, last year was a lot of themes around Lament. I spent time reflecting on this previous year and I noticed that if I continued to head in the same direction, I would burn out. Some things in my life needed to change.
It wasn't easy though. I fought and justified all the reasons why I needed to do more and to keep doing things like gaming. I used excuses that it's "restful" or "it's not that much more." Well, a lot of "it's not that much more" = "a lot!" It was tough and over this summer and into this fall, God has used many situations to strip me of my own pride. People like my Co-workers, Pastors, friends, and most of all my wife spoke truth into my life. Eventually, I couldn't ignore that I was heading towards the path to burnout.
The reason why I needed to simplify things in my life is so that I can be more effective in the things that really matter. Things like Marriage (Family), IVCF (Work), self care, friends, are to name a few. However, as any person who likes to say "yes" to good things. I realised how much I needed to let go of good things.
Over this summer and into the fall, I started simplifying my life:
- I stepped down from my roles and responsibilities of two committee's, focused around the Chinese Church, I have been a part of for the past 2 years.
- Stepped down from leadership at my church.
- Am not taking any preaching opportunities this year, instead inviting others who don't get the privilege and give them an opportunity to preach.
- Retired from gaming on my phone.
What I have picked up and am focusing on now is:
- More quality time with April
- Community Center membership with April to workout together
- Helping more around the house
- Being more present at my home church
- Nerding it out with my friends through the card game Magic The Gathering
- Spending more time being on the SFU Campus and hanging out with my fellow Applied Science students.
- Time to hang out with friends.
Me saying "No" to essentially good things has not only allowed me to say "Yes" to doing other good things for efficiently, it has left space now for others to say "Yes" to these good things.
Please continue to be praying for April and I as we look to simplify our lives for the purpose of being more effective in the things that Jesus has called us to do.

No comments:
Post a Comment